2020 Bike to School Week Delayed until September 2020 due to COVID-19
Next week, Monday May 27 to Friday May 31 2019, is Bike (or Walk, or Wheel) to School Week across Metro Vancouver and BC (and it coincides with Bike to Work Week, so parents you can get in on the fun too!) Celebrate the nice weather and longer days by helping the kids get to school under their own power – on a bike, scooter, skateboard, or simply walking.
Ridgeway will participate in Bike to School Week with a return of the “morning dance party” on the front school yard, and guest appearances and events throughout the week. More details regarding scheduled events will be released later this week. Our school is also registered with the Hub Bike to School Week program, giving us a chance to win prizes based on our participation. So take this opportunity to try something different – dig out the bike pump and dust off the seats. Let’s get ready to ride!
Before you jump on your bike next week, think about safety!
- Wear a helmet and appropriate clothing.
- Make sure your child is aware of the rules of the road, and capable of riding in a safe manner.
- There are bike racks near the staff parking area / portables, and the fence around Quinn’s court or the school playgrounds are also available for bike parking.
- Don’t forget the bike lock! Students are always advised to lock their bike. Keys can be attached to a backpack, or kept by a parent who picks up the student after school. Combinations should be written in the student’s agenda or somewhere they can find it.
- It’s a good idea to label your bike or use an identifiable marker (e.g. a sticker or ribbon) to distinguish your bike from others that may look similar.
- As a regular safety precaution, take note of the bike serial number and keep it in a safe place at home.