Through the amazing support of this community, we are looking to schedule the build of 2 new play areas this Spring. This is Phase 1 of our playground development project, with 2-3 additional new areas hopefully introduced in the coming year.
The play areas include:
- Climbing net play structures (2)
- Natural log climbing areas (2)
- Stepping structure
- Sensory equipment
- Rubber fall surfacing to make the area wheelchair friendly (all blue areas, river design)
Barring any unforeseen delays or changes to the design (necessitate by budget or final approvals), we are hoping to firm up our schedule for late May / early June, with the final reveal in September 2020 after all the finishing touches have been added. Design not final.
There are many to thank for helping us get to this point, but this project has been moving very quickly this year. In response to the needs of the specific species of trees on our property, we chose to add rubber tire surfacing to protect the trees from foot traffic. The surfacing also helps us achieve a level of accessibility for this area we did not believe we could budget for.
As you can imagine, as our design as evolved, costs have gone up. But so has support – although we do need more! At this time, I’d like to thank the major support we’ve received to date:
- Projects in Place Society (Gold Partner) for the design and full project support
- Tire Stewardship BC (Gold Partner) for the recent $30,000 grant for the fall surfacing
- Houston Landscapes (Gold Partner), our construction partner
- City of North Vancouver (Bronze Partner, Grants)
- The Can.Aid.Ian Fund for the Vancouver Foundation (Bronze Partner, Grants)
- Anthem Properties (Bronze Partner)
- Lynn Johnston Productions Inc (Bronze Partner)
- Wasserman & Partners Advertising
- Whole Foods
- The North Vancouver School District
- And the many ‘Friends of Ridgeway’ supporters who have helped make this project possible
You will start to hear a LOT more updates about the playground as we approach the Spring. There will be many requests, including for volunteers or in-kind support.
Questions? Want to help?
If you have questions or want to contribute to this amazing project, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Playground Phase 2
Our overall design includes new classroom and play areas that have been split into a second Phase of the project, including:
- An outdoor classroom area near our Welcome Pole
- An improved boulder / bio swale, with new boardwalk bridge and potential play features
- Accessible spinners and accessible play surfacing that extends from and around the “blue playground”
Our second phase requires a substantial investment, given the ‘off the shelf’ nature of some of the features. As we have increased the scope of Phase 1, adding in play surfacing and more play features, we have had to use a greater portion of the overall playground fund (meant to support Phase 1 and Phase 2). The phasing of the project also contributes to increased costs.
We still need your support. Our current estimate is that we have raised $177,234 of the estimated $250,000+ we could need – though the amazing partnerships we’ve created means our design is actually worth several times more than what we’re paying.
Donate Now (tax receipts available)
We also welcome corporate partnerships, with the opportunity for recognition and activation at our build and media events.
THANK YOU! Together we are making this amazing project happen.